RFID Labeling and Verification System
DiaSorin, a global provider of clinical medical devices, has a system called the LIAISON. The LIAISON machines analyze samples by utilizing reagents; these reagents are contained within a disposable product known as the Reagent Integral. In the past, these integrals were identified by a label containing 15 barcodes that was manually placed on the plastic integral. As the LIAISON machines evolved, they required an RFID tag in addition to the barcode label to identify additional information regarding the reagents.
The overall project goal was to produce an automated process for printing bar code labels, writing RFID tags and to verify the correctness of operations executed during the assembling process. Integrals whose information did not match with those expected are isolated to be rejected and/or reprocessed.
Summary of Our Solution
Working with our hardware solution partner, AbeTech, Vertical Systems designed, developed and delivered a Microsoft .NET software solution.
The delivered solution included the following components.
- CTM Custom Conveyor
- Flighted Conveyor to move integrals between stations through assembly process
- Stations included: print & apply, RFID write, label verify, and accept/reject
- Visionscape Label Verification using Vision System (High-Mark)
- Complex Label Verification (OCR and OCV) using High-resolution camera
- Vertical Systems’ Custom Software Solution
- Controlling application that manages all components
- Start batch of Integrals by selecting a defining XML structure and the desired label format
- XML Parsing
- Formatting RFID data and writing to Infineon RFID Tags (1000 bytes of data)
- Directly Interfaces to and controls the CTM Conveyor using 24-volt signals
- Hardware/Software Interfaces:
- Advantech USB-4751L I/O Box
- DataLogic Cobalt C1007 RFID Controller with Integrated Antenna
- CTM Conveyor – Customized 3600PA Automated Labeling System
- Zebra printer with 113PAX4 print engine
- VisionScape AppRunner (vision verification)
- Microscan Visionscape GigE Camera
- CodeSoft Label Printing (via customized COM interface)